All teams have completed nine flights to end stage 1 of the competition. The top three from each group now progress to the gold group led by Lucy MacGregor (GBR) who remains the only unbeaten team.
It was not the spectacular sun lit day with a smoldering southerly that highlighted the second day of the ISAF Women's Match Race World Championship at the New York Yacht Club's Harbour Court, nor was it the multiples of surfing photo finishes. Instead, today the sailors illustrated the term they use to describe the pinnacle of match race maneuvering: surgical execution.
For the top seeded sailors after the nine flights of Stage 1, it was a day of comebacks and last minute passes. The precision with which Claire Leroy
(FRA) used to up end a confident Ekaterina Skudina
(RUS) in broaching whitewater luff was inspiring as the two boats sailed within feet of each other in 17 knots of breeze and three-foot waves. All starts, roundings and finishes were within inches and penalties pushed the umpires to the limit.
Some of the competitors used the day to settle into a winning routine. "It wasn't just one thing," said Finnish skipper Silja Lehtinen, "it was more like 20 things." Lehtenin won most of her races in the morning and said that her new team was finally clicking.
Though often sailing with a new team, American Sally Barkow is leading the blue group with a tie-breaker over Leroy at eight wins. Nicky Souter is close behind with seven wins and Ekaterina Skudina and Anna Tunnicliffe both have six wins.
On Thursday competitors are split into a gold fleet and repechage. The top two competitors from the repechage will meet the gold fleet of six for the quarter finals.
Another sunny day is forecast and as teams like the Finnish begin to hone their sailing on Narragansett Bay, the stakes will be getting higher.
1. Lucy Macgregor (GBR) Red 1st - 9 wins
2. Sally Barkow (USA) Blue 1st - 8 wins - 1 loss
3. Claire Leroy (FRA) Blue 2nd - 8 wins - 1 loss
4. Nicky Souter (AUS) blue 3rd - 7 wins - 2 losses
5. Katie Spithill (AUS) Red 2nd - 6 wins - 3 losses
6. Genevieve Tulloch (USA) Red 3rd - 6 wins - 3 losses
4. Samantha Osborne (NZL) red - 5 wins - 4 losses
5. Anne-Claire Le Berre (FRA) red - 5 wins - 4 losses
6. Silja Lehtinen (FIN) red - 4 wins - 5 losses
7. Sofia Bekatorou (GRE) red - 3 wins - 6 losses
8. Julie Bossard (FRA) red - 3 wins - 6 losses
9. Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen (DEN) red - 3 wins - 6 losses
10. Silvia Roca mata (ESP) red - 1 win - 8 losses
4. Anna Tunnicliffe (USA) blue - 6 wins - 3 losses
5. Ekaterina Skudina (RUS) blue - 6 wins - 3 losses
6. Renee Groeneveld (NED) blue - 4 wins - 5 losses
7. Camilla Ulrikkeholm (DEN) blue - 3 wins - 6 losses
8. Juliana Senfft (BRA) blue - 2 wins - 7 losses
9. Petra Kliba (CRO) blue - 1 win - 8 losses
10. Rita Gonçalves (POR) blue - 0 wins - 9 losses
Full results - http://nyyc.org/gui/nyyc1/uploadedfiles/Dups/WMRWresults.pdf
All the latest details on the 2010 Worlds, together with an archive of results from previous championships is available on the ISAF Women's Match Racing World Championship microsite at www.sailing.org/wmatchworlds