Membership of the International Sailing Federation may be granted by the Council in the following categories:
- Full Member (Member National Authority - MNA) - a national governing body for sailing
- Associate Member (a Member National Authority with reduced service and powers)
- ISAF Class Associations (types of boat)
- Rating and Handicap Systems
- ISAF Continental Member (membership offered to geographical groups)
- Affiliate Member (self-administered international organizations)
Full details of ISAF Membership can be found in the ISAF Constitution (Article 2) and the ISAF Regulations (Part 2).